Friday, December 14, 2007

L.A.R.P.ing

Live Action Role Playing. It's apparently popular now. Just like celeb nude pics, diet tonic water and the iPhone. I'm calling it, asshole. Basically it's where one decides to live out their fantasies as a wizard or orc hunter in real life. People build their own weapons and costumes and run around the forests or other battlefields found on Granma's farm and reak havoc in the kingdom. I don't get this at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fucking nerd. I love comics, video games and I enjoy my occasional anime, but I severely don't get this.

It's all about escape I guess. If you have a shitty life working 9-5 at a shoe store, when you get off you can create a persona where you're a king or an ancient necromancer. I know it's fun; I played those games when I was fucking 8. Then a little thing called puberty hit; hair grew all over my back and I started to think about women taking showers. It's a natural thing, I guess, but for some reason, these guys missed out on this chemical mind fuck. Basically, you can't delay the inevitable. Life sucks hard, and some of us have it worse than others, but to dress up like an eleven high priest and nail your next door neighbor with a foam sword seems a little off. Sure, all of us at some point want to disconnect with the world around us, but fantasy isn't the way. Alcohol, forgetting family outings, and lying to get off work to sleep in are the better options.

Hey, if you want to LARP, go ahead, it's a free country...or fiefdom.

No comments: